Monday, March 31, 2014

Nightmare is over

I work as a psychiatrist in a hospital 20 miles from this park. It is far away, but at evening, I always come to see a boy, Mark. Mark just reaches 5 years old this month. He looks cheerfully playing football with the other children, but I can see he’s sad sometimes. Mark live with a taxi driver father, a housewife mother, and three older boys. All of them are not related to him. The mother wrote diaries about Mark and the father gives me the diaries without his knowing. Sometimes I came to the park to take pictures, sometimes I came to release tension, but most of all, I watch him because I need to know his wellbeing. All of his figures I wrote it in my notebook.
I know why he sad, my experience work at hospital tells me. Most of the children are really easy to read. He knows all of his family are not related to him.  He feels like he’s alone in this world. And I know that he’s not alone in this world, but I can never approach him. I can’t do it. It might be better if he not know.
Mark suddenly comes to the bench where I was sitting. It startled me.
“Miss, can you give me the ball?” He says while point his finger near my bench.
“Oh, alright, here you go.” I take the ball and toss it to him. He catches the ball.
“Thank you very much.” And he goes away.
Long after that, the sky turn red, and all of the children go back home. I have to go back home too. I packed my things and drive my car back. My home is 30 miles from this park.
After I arrive, I enter my apartment house. I turn on the lights.
I go to my desk and open all the notes that I wrote about Mark. I reread all the diaries, and notebook of Mark. As I read it, feel relieved, knowing he grew up healthily. And at the same time I go to my table. I sit on the chair and look at the board contained a few cut out newspaper from 6 years ago. I look at the wanted man in the newspaper and its contents.

MISSING PSYCHO KILLER
DATE, place: a killer has gone missing right after the police manage to bring the killer to the jail. The murderer killed one man brutally and the police described his crime as something a human cannot do.
The police ask the local citizen to not go out at night while the police will make the search around the area.
The inspector states that, “We have a really dangerous monster that still roaming around this city! Everyone please cooperate with us! We never know what will happen next!”
For any citizen that found the man with this face, please contact XXX-XXXXXXXX.



Until now, the murderer hasn’t found yet. And that is more the reason why I have to keep my eyes on Mark. I will never forget what he has done and I will send this bastard to hell.
…………………………………………………………………………………………………
Today it’s raining. No children come to the park. I wrote the note inside the car about this. But when I look again, Mark is at the park. I rushed off to the park, bringing an umbrella. I wonder why he comes today…
Mark is sitting at a bench. I rush toward him with my umbrella and sheltering him with my umbrella. “You will catch a cold, little one.”
Mark look at me sadly. Although he drenched with rain, I can see his tears on his eyes.
“Come, kid, I bring you to your home.” But he hugged me. I can feel he’s shaking. Though, I don’t know whether he shaking from sadness or coldness.
“I don’t want to go home…. Please….” said Mark; with his voice sound like he’s going to cry.
I think for a minute what I should do, and I told him “Come inside my car.” And he follows me inside my car.
After we get inside, I ask him, “Tell me your mother’s number phone, they must be worry about you.” Actually, I know their phone number and I can call them right away, but that will arouse the suspicion of Mark.
At first, Mark hesitated, but after I persuaded him, he willingly tells me his mother’s phone number.
Du du du……du du du
“Hello?” says the housewife in a panic voice.
“Is this Mark’s mother?”
The woman after hearing my voice immediately knew Mark is on a safe hands and said “Is Mark alright?”
“Aside from drenched from rain, he is fine.”
“Thank goodness, thank you very much doctor.”
I turned my face to Mark and ask, “Do you want to talk to your mother?”
He shakes his head. I wonder why he did that.        
“Come on now; don’t make your mother worried. She worries about you, you know?”
And he mumbling something, but I didn’t manages to hear it.
“What did you say?”
“I don’t want to go home…..”
I don’t want to waste more time inside the phone. It will make matters more difficult. “I’ll bring him to your house, please give me you address.”
She gives me the address, and I closed my phone. Mark began to ask me, “Miss, how do you know my name?”
I realised I make a mistake. I slipped my tongue. This kid realise that I know his name. Think, what should I say about this, think, oh, right.
“I’m a doctor. And your mother knows me. We have met before and she told me many things about you and her.”
“I see….”
I drive my car to Mark’s home. He just looks down as he confused. I wonder what happened before…. Is there something that I missed?
After I arrived at Mark house, the housewife greets me and brings a towel to dry Mark. He didn’t say anything until he goes back to his room. “I wonder what happened to him…”
“My stupid son…..he told Mark that he’s not our family.”
“Is this happened recently?”
“Yeah, and when Mark know he’s not our family, he cry yesterday and begged us to tell him more about his family. And then he ran away from home.”
“I see….”
“Why he did this to us…. We didn’t treat him bad, or makes him unhappy… it makes me really sad….”
“It’s not your fault, he just want to know….”
The housewife cried, and I just can look at her weeping. It must be hard for her. She loves Mark. She even buys an expensive toy for Mark on his birthday. And once there’s a sports day in kindergarten, she went and participates in parent and child competition just for him.….
I wonder….. Should I tell him the truth…..things are getting more complicated….
“………..” After a long though, I open my mouth.
“Madam, let me talk to him about some things. He might need to cool his mind. I will persuade him to stop running away from home.”
“Al..alright doctor.”
I wait for Mark. He comes outside with wearing casual clothes. I can see he’s grinning at his face. He might be happy though I don’t know why.
I drive the car to amusement park. Most children love to go there. And just as I expected, Mark is really excited.
I brought him to see the theatre, where there’s Mickey Mouse show on play. As he watches Mickey dancing around with Minnie, Daisy quarrelling with Donald, and Pluto running and jumping together, he laugh happily. When they clapped their hand, he also follows it. I can see how much he enjoys it.
After that, I bring him to merry go round, and I lift him up on wooden horse, and look at him from a distance. As merry go round moving, his smile broadens up, and wave at me as hard as he can. He was really happy. I can’t stop but smile for him too.
After he finished, I buy him an ice cream, but he want me to eat together with him. We eat as we walking. As we eat while walking, he holds my hand. I didn’t know children can be this innocent. It also makes me guilty whether I should tell him the truth or not…..
“Hey, hey, hey, what a lovely pair of mother and child,” say the clown, walking with his hands full of balloons.
“Well, I……”
“Yes, isn’t my mother pretty?!” said Mark in happy face.
            “Why yes, she’s so beautiful, I’m jealous of your father.” The clown smiles at Mark. Mark reply with his smile too. The clown happily takes one balloon from his hand, and gives it to him. “Here you go, kid, one big balloon for you.” And Mark holds the balloon. Mark takes it and says, “Thank you very much Mr. Clown!” and the clown move away whiles him making a funny laugh. As the clown walks away, Mark gives a big wave to him.
And we walk to a large bench to finish our ice cream. Mark finishes his ice cream first and looks at me intensely. I wonder what he’s thinking…..
I finished my ice cream and wipe my face with a tissue. I wonder what I should say to him first… oh right, “You shouldn’t say that.”
“What do you mean?” ask Mark.
“You tell the clown that I’m your mother. If you mom heard that, she could cry, you know.”
“But it’s true.”
“What do you mean?” His word quite puzzling me.
“I am not their real family member,” says Mark with full of confidence.
“How can you be so sure?”
“All my bro told me about it. And also mommy always makes diaries about me. And daddy always took the diaries out from the house whenever I sleep.”
This is quite surprising. He knows what happen to him every day. “Does your mommy and daddy do the bad things that make you sad?”
“Nuh-uh, they always good to me…… but I don’t think I fit in that family.”
I just remain silent. He keeps on talking.
“Besides, I want to know where my real family is. I want to meet them and ask them why they left me. I believe if I live with my family we can live happily.”
He finished his word. And I talked to him.
“Since they didn’t do anything bad to you, don’t do this to them. They will cry you know?”
“But…. I…..”
“You should be grateful you live in a kind family, you should be treasure them than finding your real family that who knows why they left you. It is better if you don’t know anything about them than knowing something that only break your heart.”
“Then why you left me?”
“What?”
“I know….. I know that you are my mother. Ever since I saw you at the park, I always though, how you looked so similar to me. And you only watch me at the park. How could you do this to me?”
“…..”
I sighed….. Should I tell him the truth or shouldn’t I?
“Mark…..” And he looked at me with hopes that his answer is right.
This is it… I must tell him.
“Mark, I am not you mother. You make mistakes.”
I think this is the best answer I can give to him.
Tears flows in his eyes. He looks down and holds his cry.  “but you….. why you….. bring me….. here?”
“I bring you here to help you calm down and persuade you not to running away from home. You have made many mistakes. I think this is the best way to tell you.”
“No…… YOU’RE LYING!!!” and Mark throws the ice cream’s wrapper at me and running away from me.
“I HATE YOU!!!!!” he cried while running.
This is really bad, I have to follow him. Mark began to running faster and faster and into the bushes. The light is dim, and there’s no moon out here, and the surrounding is really dark. I searched for him while I was shouting,
“Mark? Mark?”
After a few moments, I realised that he’s gone.
…………………………………………………………………………………………………
Mark is running as fast as he can. He is really angry, but deep inside, he feels his heart crushed. And many more feelings that mixed inside him. He is becoming confused. Why she bring him here? If she isn’t his mother, why she look so similar to him? Why he shouldn’t look for his real family? And many more thoughts come to his mind, making him more confused….
After running for so long, he feels really tired and thirsty. He just wants everything to go away. And then, he realised how lonely he is just by thinking he doesn’t have any family. Tears began to flowing in his eyes. He doesn’t want this to happen to him. Why is this happening? Why?
His cry is heard by a man. The man wears good looking long jacket, and his hair is smooth back, he has a kind face, and he looks like a man who work as a businessman. The man come and wipes his tears. “Why are you crying, little one? A man shouldn’t be crying.”
“Leave me alone!” shout Mark and he pushed his hand away from his face.
The man try to apologize “I’m sorry, I didn’t mean…” but Mark doesn’t want to listen to him, and Mark tried to run away from him but he manage to caught Mark. Mark struggle with all his might but the man tries to talk to him. “wait little one! Where is your family?!”
Hearing his words, Mark couldn’t hold his tears and cry with all his might. The man tries to calm him down but he cries louder. Finally, he lifts him and hugged him just like a father would do to a child.
“There, there. Dear little one, please don’t cry. I will help you find your family.”
Family? But who is my family? Ask Mark while being hugged. He wants to cry again, but after he is being comforted by him, he slowly stopped crying.
“There, now you stopped crying. You are a good kid.” And he put him down. Then that man realise Mark’s face has snot.  He takes out his handkerchief, but a picture fall out of his pocket. After that man clean his face, Mark take his picture and he surprised with the photo. It was a wedding picture of the doctor and that man.
“Oh, that picture…” say the man but Mark cut his word.
“Is this woman is your wife?” ask Mark, with a surprised face.
“Yes, she was. But 6 years ago she’s gone without any trace. Have you seen her?”
Mark felt that he has found a clue to his journey in searching for his family and reply “Yes. I know her.”
…………………………………………………………………………………………………
Not here….
Not here……
Not here……..
Mark…. Where are you…….
The police and I search for Mark. He has gone for a few hours. I had no choice but to call Mark’s foster parents to inform them about Mark’s disappearance. Some of the police even make a trough investigation to other places. Then, a phone call appears in my cell phone. I answer the phone.
“Hello?”
“Doctor? This is bad, the patient in the room 122…” the nurse calls me in quite a panic voice. But I must cancel her request.
“I’m sorry, I can’t right now. Give her some anaesthetic…”
“We did, but she doesn’t sleep. And she injured one of the nurses. Please help us.” Ask the nurse. This time, I have no choice but to go back to the hospital to help the nurse. I ask the police to help me search for Mark.
I walk to the car and start the engine. I start the car with full speed; hoping things can be done quickly.
As I move the car, I realised what I have done to Mark maybe too harsh to him….
…………………………………………………………………………………………………
“Now young man, tell me where’s your mommy, I will bring you home to her.”
“But sir, can you tell me more about your wife?”
“Why, Little one?”
“I just want to know more about her.”
“I see…” And he caresses Marks head. “very well, I will tell you but you must tell me where’s your mommy.”
“Yes, don’t worry mister.”
And the man aid Mark to bring him back home. …………………………………………………………………………………………………
Later that night, I got a call from the mother that Mark’s safe. Thank god nothing happened to him. And around that time, I have to continue my work on the patient in room 122 as the patient’s situation getting serious.
…………………………………………………………………………………………………
2 weeks later
…………………………………………………………………………………………………
Ring ring ring,
A phone call from somebody that I don’t know. I answered the phone.
“Who is it?”
“It’s me, Mark, doctor.”
“Oh hello, Mark.”
“I haven’t seeing you for a while.”
“Yeah, being busy in work.”
“Then when will you have ample time?”
“Maybe this evening.”
“Then let’s meet at the park, I want to meet you.”
Then at the evening, I come to the park and meet Mark. Mark seems very happy upon seeing me.
“I have been waiting for you!” said Mark.
“Re-really?” answer me hesitating. It feels weird to be friendly with him because before at the amusement park, I made him cry and lost him. But since this makes him happy then I guess it’s okay.
“I want you to meet someone!” said Mark happily while pulling my hand.
“Who?”
“The person who helped me last night!”
“Alright….”
And I just follow him to meet the person who helped him. We walked for quite a while to an apartment.
“Here?” I ask him, hesitated.
“Yes! He stay at the top floor!”
“Alright, since you are very determined about this.” And we enter the apartment.
After we arrived, Mark knocked the door.
Knock, knock, knock,
“Come in,” said the person inside.
There’s a man at the end of the hall. Mark quickly opens the door and run inside to meet this man “Father!!!!”
“Father…?”
No… no way……
 “John….. Sawyer….?” I was very surprised with the sight of that man.
“Yes, it’s me Lydia. Are you forgetting me, dear?”
“Father, I bring mom!!” said Mark happily.
“Yes, Mark is a good boy,” said him while pet Mark.
“GET AWAY FROM HIM, MARK!!!” And I point a gun at him.
“Mo..mom?” ask Mark in confusion. And that man lifts Mark.
“Now are you going to shot me? Mark can get hurt too you know.”
“let him go!!”
“You’re the one who should let go of the gun.” And he points the gun at Mark. Mark shuddered with fear.
“I have called the police. You have no other way to escape.” But the truth is I don’t. I just hope he fell for it.
“Oh you don’t have to worry. I have an escape plan.”
THUNK!! A hit comes from behind me! There’s …. Another…..
Thump! I fainted with that hit.
“Father!! What are you doing?!” shout Mark as he is very surprised.
My consciousness is wavering….
“You’ll see, son…”
…………………………………………………………………………………………………

POP!! The sound of bottle champagne is opened.
“Congratulation, Lydia!!” shout an old man, holding the bottle for the wedding.
“Thank you,” reply Lydia. Her wedding dress makes her more beautiful than ever.
“You’re finally married to our beauty staff, John Sawyer,” said the old man.
“Aww, boss. It’s all thanks to you, you know?” said John, with a smile toward his boss.
“Being humble, huh? Come on, you’re the groom, act like the man of event!” And he patted his back.
“Sis!!” shout Airy. She’s panting with short breath.
“Airy! You just arrive here?!”
“Ha ha ha, better late than never,” reply Airy with a smile.
“Oh, you little…. (snicker) how’s the study?”
“Uhh, I got more work from than usual… don’t remind me that.”
“Yes dear, and good luck for your final.”
“Thanks,” Smile Airy toward her sister. She is on her final semester of her school at the foreign country. But that doesn’t stop her to have time to come to her sister’s wedding.
“Congratulation, John Sawyer,” said an unknown man that suddenly shows up from nowhere. Somehow his presence is hard to notice.
“Oh, thanks man,” said John Sawyer, startled by his sudden appearance.
“And congratulation to you too, Lydia Vane, oh, I should call you Mrs Sawyer now,” said the man with a smile.
“Thank you very much,” reply Lydia with a smile.
And that man goes away.
“Sis, do you know him?”
“(Laugh), no I don’t. John?”
“Nope, I don’t know. Boss?”
“Hmm, I can’t remember his name… but he’s actually come at the same time as you, John.”
“What? But I didn’t know…”
“Well, his presence is hard to notice, he’s not a social guy, but at least he done his work.”
“Hmm….” And Airy look at him walks away with a grim.
I didn’t know that time is the beginning of the terror I can never forget….
…………………………………………………………………………………………………
“We are here,” said John while arriving at a port with a car.
“….” Mark just kept silent while he sits beside unconscious Lydia, tied with rope.
“Oh, I’m sorry son, you must be uncomfortable there,” said John toward Mark who sits beside Lydia.
“Father, where are we going?” ask Mark as he can’t comprehend his situation.
“You see, son, we have to get away from here,” reply him with a grin. And he lifts her outside and brings her toward a boat.
“Why?” ask Mark while following him.
“There’s a bad guy that wants to take you from us. He is very wicked and evil.”
“Then why mommy sends me to my adopted parents?”
“Because she wants to keep watch you from the bad guy from afar. That man is very dangerous if he knows about you.”
“Is he very bad?”
“Yes, and she didn’t even tell me about it…. it really heartbreak me…” And he put her inside the boat.
He patted Mark’s head “…she gave birth to you and didn’t tell me about it…. I wonder how she could do this to me…”
Mark felt sad hearing his word. John realise it and hug Mark.
“There, there, you’re a good child.”
“Father….” And Mark hugs him back.
“Now, father need to take some things.” And he let go of Mark.
“Let me go with you!!” said Mark.
“Really?”
“Yeah, I want to spend more time with you!!”
“Alright son, let’s go.”
And they walk out of the boat.
…..
………
“……” I just can grunt to hold my anger. I can’t believe he spout such nonsense toward Mark. And here I though he has an ally that hit me from behind, but in actuality, he hit me from behind with his own trap that he has made. But it is very obvious, there’s no way he has friend from beginning.
But I can’t let go of this chance. I take out of my pocketknife I hid at one of my shoe and cut the rope that ties me.
The rope has cut! Now I need to get out of here.
Tak tak tak tak
!! He’s arriving!
“!!” Mark surprised with me awake and untied.
“Mom-“And I snatched him as fast as he can. Luckily that man didn’t realise anything.
Mark struggling as I cover his mouth with my hand.
“Mark, listen to me. Everything that man says to you, all of it, is a lie.”
He still keeps struggling. “Listen, you have to believe in me. That man is very dangerous.”
“How could you say like that to me…” said John.
“!!” I turn my side quickly! He has arrived!! I quickly move away from him!
“ Please don’t let me do this.” And he point a gun toward me “I don’t want to hurt you, Lydia dear.”
“You psychotic bastard…” I check back what I have right now. This is bad, he has a gun. And I just have a knife.
“Mom! Father! Please stop!” shout Mark as he burst to tears “Can’t we be together as family?!”
“MARK!” I shout at him with anger.
And he jumps toward the boat and get in.
The boat is shaking so much, making me unable to stand up.
But that doesn’t mean I can’t fight him back!
Using this momentum, I pull his shirt and push him toward the sea! “TAKE THIS!!”
“!!“   Splash! He fell into the sea!
I carry Mark and run to the land as fast as possible!
“Mom! How did you do that?!” said Mark with a surprised face.
“Judo. I have train martial arts for this day.”
I run to the office port as fast as possible. But there’s nobody inside.
I put Mark down and tell him “Stand aside,” and I opened the door using the knife to destroy the door lock.
The door is opened; I enter the door and search for the phone. Once I found the phone, I quickly call Inspector Briggs.
“Du du du, du du du *pip* inspector Briggs here.”
“It’s me.”
“Doctor? What is it?”
“That guy is in this xxxx port.”
“!! How…”
“I was kidnapped together with a kid.”
“I see, I will come as fast as possible.”
“Call reinforcement, he has a gun.”
“Understood.” And I close the call.
And then I search the office things that can be used as a weapon. But there’s none, so I need to use my knife.
“Mom…” Mark look at me with a very sad eyes “Father didn’t kidnap us….”
“He’s not your father.”
“LIAR!! WHY ARE YOU LYING!!”
“No Mark, I’m not lie…”
“You even deny that you’re not my mom….”
“...”
I wish I could explain everything to him, but not now. I have to be quick. I opened the locker and put Mark inside the low locker. But this locker is shut air tight, I can’t lock this locker either shut it tight or Mark can’t breathe.
Having no other choice, I tell Mark “Now be a good boy and stay here.”
“Mom!” shout him angry “You didn’t even tell me the truth!”
 “Mark, we are dealing with a very dangerous person. I don’t want you to go out no matter what, until the police come.”
“No! Tell me now!”
“You might not understand, but I never lie to you from the beginning.”
“Huh….?” Mark becoming silent, can’t comprehend with what I’m talking about.
“I will explain to you everything after this, just believe me this time.”
“….” He just continue to be silent.
“Okay, don’t go anywhere.” And I went out with my knife.
This will be the final battle between me and him. Everything that happened for so long will be end right now!
I walk to the harbour while hiding carefully, not to be seen by him. But I still didn’t find any trace of him. Where could he be right now?
The adrenaline rush to my head, I instantly turn my head to see him jump more than 5 meter toward me.
STOMP! He fell on the ground with his knee! His face is dissatisfied as I manage to avoid him at last minute.
“You’re quite agile, dear,” said him with a psychotic smile.
I look at him. He doesn’t point my gun at me and there’s no sign that he carry any gun, which means he lost it in the sea. Now this time I’m at the advantage, I have knife at my right hand.
But I was wrong. He moves very fast and tries to kick me!
I avoid it and stab his eye with all my might! But he evades it by moving his head a bit.
But what surprise me the most is he didn’t move at all after that. He looks at me with a smirk. “Got you.” And hit my hand until I throw off my knife!
“Agh!!” grunt me as my hand is in pain! It’s as if my hand’s going to break! I run away as fast as I can!
This guy… is very not normal. He doesn’t even blink an eye when that knife an inch from his eyes, which shows he doesn’t feel any danger even by reflect movement. Besides, he doesn’t show any pain when fall from 5 meter directly by his own knees. Even if we just say he has learn martial arts to the level of being a ninja, of course it is possible, however, to do that there are techniques that using the law of physics to overcome it or he also can get injuries at the knees and other problem.
After I manage to get away from him, I try to catch up my breath, thinking a plan to fight him back. Since he can’t feel any pain from his body, I can use this as my advantage.
“I saw you!” shout him as he sees me and running as fast as he can. Seeing him like that, I dashed myself toward him as fast as I can!
He raises his hands to catch me!
But I lowered my upper body and kick his knee with my foot!
Krack! The sound of bone breaking is heard! Just as I though, his knee is injured!
He fall down, and can’t stand up. After struggling a while, he looks at me with a sad face “Why… Why are you doing this, Lydia?”         
I stand up, trying to catch my breath and seeing him cowering slowly in fear and sad “It’s me, your husband, John Sawyer…”
Seeing him like that really make me loathe him, and his injury is not enough to atone what he has done. “Claustrophobia….”
“What…?” His eyes blinked, wondering what I am talking about.
            “Post-traumatic stress disorder, acute stress reaction, paralysing anxiety, uncontrollable dramatization and suppression, mood swing, insomnia and panic attack!” I kick his stomach with all my might!!
“Urgh!” He coughs up after being kick by me.
“You think I can stop punishing you after what you have done to Lydia?!!”
“Wha…” He startled by my words. “You… who are you…?”
“Now you remember who I am, ‘John Sawyer’? Or should I say Mr. unknown?”
            “No… No!! I am John Sawyer!!! I have proof!!!!”
“Your dissociative identity disorder is very bad. To the point you have burned your identity and murder the real John Sawyer.”
“Are crazy?! Can’t you see this face?! It’s the same with that picture!!!!”
SMACK! A direct punch to his face! I pull his collar “And worse of all, you changed your face and ripped his face and force my sister to live with you!!!”
“No… You’re wrong…” said him unconsciously. His nose is bleeding from my punch.
“Is that… true..?” said Mark. He looks at me at a distant. “Then… he is not my father?”
“Yes.” And I let him go and walk toward Mark.
“…” Mark looking at me hesitantly.
I rub his face to calm him down “I know this is hard, and that’s why I told you that it’s better not to know about your parents.”
“Uuuu….” And Mark’s tears falling down. I hug him to let him cry at my bosom. Finally, the chase to find this psycho is over, and I give a relieved sigh.
…………………………………………………………………………………………………
On this evening, I drove myself to the park. I walk to the bench and sit on it. The children are playing around the park happily except Mark. He just sit at the bench for a long time, and he didn’t realise I was beside him.
“Are you okay?”
“Nuh-uh,” reply him without looking at me. He just looks down with his face swell because of tears.
Seeing him that way, I wrap him with my right arm. He then leans on my body.
“I’m sorry.”
“Why?” ask Mark while hugging me.
“Because I did not becoming your guardian and raise you.”
“Why didn’t you?”
“Sis- I mean your mother is in very serious condition. She needs to be continuously monitored for almost everyday, and I have no other choice but to let your foster parents to adopt you.”
“…..”
“The only thing I can do is watching you from afar.”
“But you should tell me…” And he is sobbing “At least I know I am not alone.”
Ah. I didn’t think about that. “I’m sorry, Mark. I should have told you from the beginning.”
And he hugs me tightly “Aunty Airy…” He put his face on me, trying not to show his crying face “I can meet my mother, right?”
I hug him back “Someday, when she is better.”
“Promise?”
“Promise.”
I felt Mark’s smile while hugging me. “Thank you…”
“You’re welcome. Let me drive you back home.”
“Yes.” And I send him back to his foster parent’s home.
Then I drive myself to the hospital.
Inside me, I felt regret.
The true reason why I didn’t take Mark into my custody is because his existence can remind my sister of her own husband and remember that horror moment. Right now, her mind is reverted to the time before my sister meets John Sawyer. Furthermore, recently, when she saw children she can entered panic attack due to the trauma from the past. She has now entered critical condition where she has to stay in my hospital. I worry with my sister as her situation is worsening. And I also regret that I make promise with Mark.
…………………………………………………………………………………………………
In the hospital, I entered room 122. The window is shut tightly, and there are nothing much in this room except bed and my sister, Lydia who is sleeping on her bed.
I sit on the bed, watching her sleep. It was rare for her to sleep without the aid of anaesthetic. Both her eyes are darkening, and she has some white hair on her messy head. She’s also getting thinner.
“Sis…” Seeing her make me feel helpless…
“Nnn…” She wake up, hearing my whisper “Ai…ry…?”
“Yes, it’s me sis.”
“How’s your study?” ask her while smiling.
“As usual, the teacher is being strict on me.”
“Hahaha, you’re such a troublemaker,” laugh her happily.
Somehow she looks different when she woke up “You look better than before, sis.”
“Is that so?” And she brushed her short hair that fall on her face “I just dreamed that my nightmare has over.”
Hearing that, I thought to try to say the taboo word that she doesn’t want to hear “Then, do you know John Sawyer?”
“John Sawyer? Who is he?” said her. She still doesn’t remember her husband, but she doesn’t scared or show any sign of panic attack. She is getting better.
“….” I am surprised that she doesn’t frighten with that word like before and I hugged her quickly, “Whoa!” Sis surprised with my hug “What’s wrong, Airy?”
“No, it’s because my nightmare is also over.”


No comments:

Post a Comment